There seem to be many people who believe that creating a fantastic product will automatically generate sales and revenue. While ideally the best products would be the most successful and the playing field would be completely level, reality is not like that. To create a successful business, you have to network. You have to reach out to people, let them know what you can do for them and how you can work together. Creating a strong network can do amazing things for people and their businesses. How should you go about creating this network?
1) Create a social media presence. Social media is one of the dominant forms of communication today. Platforms like LinkedIn are specifically designed to help businesses and professionals connect with one another and share ideas. It is a great way to meet people from around the world. It has created an environment where no business has to operate exclusively locally if they do not want to.
2) Take advantage of local networking events. These are excellent opportunities to meet other local businesspeople and exchange ideas and business cards.
3) Make sure your business card clearly displays all the necessary information and nothing unnecessary. If you have excessive numbers of URLs consider using a site like itsmyurls.com to consolidate them to prevent overcrowding. It is also a good idea to make sure you are consistent with your email address, styling of your name, and other details in all your networking platforms, including on the cards, in person, and on LinkedIn. It will make it easier for potential contacts to find you.
4) Research people you are going to meet or write to before you introduce yourself. Before you send an invitation to connect on LinkedIn, or if you have an idea of some of the invitees at a networking event, take ten minutes to learn a bit about them. Learn about their business and see how you would work together. Coming prepared to any introductions can help you feel more confident and will make the conversation smoother.
5) Look to meet people, not numbers or companies. Networking does not have to be boring or intimidating. It is a necessary aspect of growing any business, but it can also be enjoyable. By reaching out to people with the goal of starting and holding conversations you will keep things more personal and be more memorable. You will have a greater chance of forming an actual relationship with the other person, and relationships build businesses.
Successful business owners will make good use of networking. It allows for companies to get their name and ideas before other people and helps to spread the word about a particular company. Hopefully these tips will get you started on building an extensive network for the growth of your company.